Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sad News Today

I have tried to call a few different times since we last spoke in early January.  At that time she told me that she was responding to antibiotics and she even sounded happy.  I had sent a small package of a few things to her for her stay at the hospital.  Some magazines to read, some western style toilet paper, a few chocolates.  I knew she did not like chocolates but treats always helps with a stay in the hospital to get a little better nursing care.  My calls were not being answered, in fact the phone was not even on.  I had just tried again this past weekend but today I got a call.  Kalsang died today.
Kalsang was our first hired house manager.  She is the one who settled us in India.  When we met in December 2010 she had no experience with a family and we had no experience with house staff so we were perfect for each other.  She worked with us until her visa came through to return to Australia to be with her friend she had visited time and time again in Australia.  She left India in August with her hopes to never return.  Her visa in Australia ended along with the month of October.  She came back to New Delhi with her hopes deflated and what seemed to be a serious case of depression.  I talked to her once before she left for "south" where her family lives.  We only talked on the phone.  She explained to me why she would not come to see me.  She didn't want to bother me she said.  She explained that she left Australia crying and sad.  She knew she had to leave Australia but she never left her room and was sad at the house where she was visiting.  It sounded like many tears were cried as she was brought to the airport in Melbourne to return to India.  Her friend met her at the airport in New Delhi and from there Kalsang stayed in a hotel until she got a train ticket to go "south" to her parents.  We talked a couple more times on and off at odd times.  When it was hard for me to have a long conversation and when it was hard for her to have a long conversation.  Around Christmas I received word from a friend of a friend that Kalsang was ill and in the hospital.  I called, we talked, but she didn't want to talk about her illness.  I asked if I could send anything for her and she requested magazines.  After the package arrived we spoke again two more times but that was a month ago.  I really thought she was doing better but I guess she was just getting better at making me think what I wanted to think.  We miss you Kalsang and our love and gratitude for your friendship will forever burn in our hearts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so terribly SAD!
When I was in India with your Mom I enjoyed being around Kalsang.
I am sorry her end days were not happy ones - she deserved only the best!
Blessings,
Phyllis